Skip to main content

Hi Front Community!

I have just moved my teams into Front over two weeks ago, everything is going smoothly but I would like them to use more the Discussions tools in Front to communicate between them, instead of Teams.

The challenge I have is that we are collaborating with many teams in our business not using Fromt and using Teams, so it is difficult for my teams to understand why they should use the Discussions channels. 
How do you compete with MS Teams for your teams to use Front? And what tools we could be using to attract them into Front Discussions?

Thanks 

Hi @Amélie,

That’s a great question! At Front, we use a combination of discussions and Slack. So the best way to promote adoption is to recognize that you should use both, and that each channel is better suited for certain situations.

Front discussions are ideal for asynchronous communication where recipients can respond later so that they have time to focus on your message and provide deeper insights. The “discussion” part is what most resonates with me: when I really want to get people to think deeply about a problem and brainstorm together, starting a Front discussion is much more useful than a Slack/Teams thread. The Front discussion has more permanence and you can easily bring in additional people to the conversation without having to worry about inviting someone new to a channel or private chat. Plus, you can assign a discussion or move it to a team inbox if action items result from it.

Slack/Teams are helpful for synchronous, time-sensitive communication. Examples include pinging someone to see if they’re joining a meeting or engineers collaborating in real time when we are experiencing internal incidents. These are quick-fire conversations that happen in day-to-day business, but will largely be forgotten once they’re done.

I think you can create a doc that shares when to use Front discussions and when to use Microsoft Teams so people can begin to understand the differences. After they give each a shot, I expect your colleagues will develop a natural intuition for when to use one versus the other. Working in tandem, Front discussions & Teams/Slack are a very powerful combination versus one or the other!

@Javier - Developer Relations Thank you very much for taking the time to come back to me. I will take on board all your tips and do my best to make the team see what we see ⭐️

Let us know what you learn!

+1 to what Javier said! Another great thing about Front discussions is that you can tell who has read, snoozed, or archived your message. You can also choose to quietly unsubscribe from a thread too 🤫