Question

Using notes data in rules

• 15 March 2024
  • 6 replies

Hi community, 

In some cases, we use notes to save additional information about the clients. 
I am wondering whether it's possible to use notes data in rules using built-in Front rules or probably via Zapier?

6 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

I’m not aware of a Front Rule that references Notes.  I don’t think Zapier supports Notes triggers either.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Hi Kate, 

I’m Luke from Front’s Support team 👋 Thank you for posting about this! 

Can I ask what sort of actions you would be looking to achieve using the information in the Contact notes? 

Would you be looking to trigger a rule when the notes are updated, or extract the information at certain intervals to use elsewhere? 

I have an idea for the foundations of a workflow that could work for updating the notes themselves using rules, but the overall workflow will depend on what you’re looking to then do with the information 😊 

Thanks in advance!

Luke

Hi Luke,

Thank you for your question. I would like to have the ability in the rules conditions to check if a contact has a note with a specific body.

Thanks in advance!

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Thank you for the added context, Kate 🙏 

Ok, so say you wanted to trigger this rule on an inbound message; something like:

• When an inbound message is received, if the customer notes contain “desired detail”, then assign to TeammateA

If you’re saving your notes in the default “Description” field, then unfortunately the rule’s don’t have a condition that can look at this. However, you could create a Custom Contact Field, called for example “Contact Notes”, and include your notes in there instead. 

Then, you could set up a rule to look at the contents of that custom field when an inbound message is received:

Select the If… condition “Custom contact field contains” and set your parameters

You can add any other If… conditions that you might need for your rule, or change the trigger from an Inbound message to Outbound for example. So long as the above field is included as its own condition, you can use the contents of those notes to dictate your rules 👍

Hope this helps! 😊

Hi Luke, 

Oh, I also thought about Contact custom fields in case the Notes would be impossible to use. 
Thank you for proving this possibility. 😊

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Consider Using 3rd-party Front-integrated Apps

Relative to Contact Notes, you might also want to look at some of the 3rd-party Front-integrated apps like HubSpot. We use HubSpot for Sales, Marketing and as a "Single Source Of Truth" (SSOT) for contact information, that is synced, via the off-the-shelf HubSpot integration, with Front. Within HubSpot, we have the ability to carry on many of the advanced "relationship management" functions you might want/need to accomplish. Other 3rd-party integrated apps provide similar extended capabilities.

Front <> HubSpot Integration Links

HubSpot Integration | Front

Front HubSpot Integration | Connect Them Today