Solved

Removing the footer for Google Groups

• 14 March 2024
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

I am trying to remove the footer that Google adds automatically when forwarding emails to an external address in a Google Group. I already followed this article, which helped quite a bit but instead of removing the footer altogether, it just added a smaller one:

“To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to help+unsubscribe@xyz.com” 

Has anyone found a solution for this? I’ve ticked off both the standard Groups footer and the custom footer. 

icon

Best answer by cat_apac 15 March 2024, 02:17

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Kept going thru Google’s docs, I feel like I’m not missing anything here and this might not be possible from the Google side (they need to do this to comply with email rules).

Perhaps Front can implement some blanking filtering on their side? I suspect all users who use Google for email would be affected by this? Or is there some workaround?

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Hi there!

Cat here with the Front support team 🪴 thanks for reaching out.

Our team have been experimenting with options on our side, and we believe that Gmail may have recently introduced some changes to prevent the removal of the standard footer in Google Groups when sending to Group members with addresses outside of your own domain. 

We have established another method of redirecting mail to Front forwarding addresses, without the footer: 

You can follow the instructions in Gmail's article on Forwarding email to a third-party CRM

When creating a routing rule, just add your address as the single recipient in step #1, and set your Front forwarding address as the recipient in the "Also deliver to" part of step #2. 

Also keeping your recipient address present as a Google Group (but turning off email notifications in the Group) allows you to retain a copy of the incoming messages in your Google Workspace.

Please note we have only performed some basic testing on this approach, but it seems to work as expected. 

I hope this helps point you in the right direction. Please let me know if you have any further questions!

Cheers,

Cat

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Readers should not be daunted by Google’s scary looking article, it’s actually super easy and took me 2 minutes to implement. Best part is it works!