Create a smart rule for a custom URL Link tag based on a reference # in email subject line

• 25 July 2023
  • 4 replies

This is the custom workflow I created using smart rules. I work for a 3rd Party Logistics Company and we have our own internal system for managing and updating shipments. I happened to notice that the URL for each shipment in our system was the exact same and only the shipment number listed in the URL is what changed. For each new incoming/outgoing email, the rule searches the subject line for reference number that starts with “s” followed by digits. If said number does exist, it will copy that number and paste it into the already existing text and complete the URL link that will direct you to that very same shipment page in our system. I hope this helps!

4 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

Hey @tmartin!

This is a very clever use of smart rules and dynamic variables. Kudos for achieving this advanced configuration!

Coincidentally, Front just launched a feature that tries to simplify this process. Have you heard of dynamic objects? Essentially, they connect Front to external system URLs based on structured order IDs, shipment numbers, etc. found within the subject or body of messages and comments.

You can read about context links here:

I’m curious to get your thoughts on how the dynamic object feature compares to your current configuration. And let us know if you have any questions!

Hey Javier

Is there a way to configure dynamic objects using a reference number that does not have a prefix? The design table requires “order” in this example. We would like to take a string of just digits and extract this data point for the link creation. 

Thank you

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

Hey @sallen,

At the time being, it isn’t possible to configure a numerical-only dynamic object. This is primarily because it would lead to a whole bunch of false positives if the dynamic object didn’t include an exact character length or included one that was too short or common to other usages. 

However, I can share this feedback with the team and there may be some ability to relax these restrictions. It would help if you could share more details about your requirements and how you envision the dynamic object matching only on digits but avoiding false positives, which might create a bad experience for you.

Hi.

For our use case we would also need a  numerical-only dynamic object. 
Our order ids are just plain 8 digits like this: 12688911

Thank you.

Bye

Jan