Question

Will there be a "send & log" feature out outgoing messages using Front & Salesforce

• 24 April 2024
  • 6 replies

Currently Front is asking users who need to log email to salesforce to send the email and then seek out the sent item and log it manually as a second step.  This is not productive and difficult to get user buy in for.

When will Front have a send & log feature to automate the look up to the contact and opportunity record to have a single step to log the email activity?

Right now Front is sending all sent email at the account level which is creating noise and reporting difficulty and none of that mail is related to the opportunity record.

6 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Hey @mark_saunders -- We generally recommend that users set up a rule to log emails automatically. You should not need to do it manually on each email!

You can either: 
1. Set up a BCC rule to auto-log emails to Salesforce (Logging Emails to Salesforce using Auto BCC) 
2. Set up a rule to log emails using the condition “Send Email to Salesforce” which will log the message as an activity in Salesforce.

More on those options here: Using rules to log activities or create leads

Thank you, Will the rules allow the user to ensure the activity gets logged to the users open opportunity or choice of opportunity?

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Hey @mark_saunders -- We generally recommend that users set up a rule to log emails automatically. You should not need to do it manually on each email!

You can either: 
1. Set up a BCC rule to auto-log emails to Salesforce (Logging Emails to Salesforce using Auto BCC) 
2. Set up a rule to log emails using the condition “Send Email to Salesforce” which will log the message as an activity in Salesforce.

More on those options here: Using rules to log activities or create leads

Hey @PhoebeatFront  We have the same basic question, but with HubSpot.  What’s “Best Practice” for keeping email activity “in-sync” (logged) with HubSpot?

Hi - appreciate the thoughtful responses.

Many companies like mine don’t use Bcc feature and we need email activity logged to a specific object & record, not just to the Account object. Specifically to the sales Opportunity or a support Case as the primary examples. 

Is Front relying on Bcc to link activities to specific salesforce Opportunity & Case records?  If so how you ensure that the recipients email address is attached to the opportunity or case? 

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Hey @JohnW

To log emails in Hubspot, just set up a rule to log emails using the condition Log Message in Hubspot. 

More on that here: How to enable and use the HubSpot integration > Log Message in Hubspot rule 

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Hey @mark_saunders

Appreciate your waiting while I consulted with our engineers on your questions-- I wanted to make sure I was 100 percent certain of my answer before replying. 

At the moment, using a rule to log an email to Salesforce cannot log to an Opportunity. It can only log to a Lead or Contact. 

It’s important to note that using a rule to log an email does not rely on BCC, rather, we use the Salesforce API to import the message in Salesforce.

Our system will try to find a Lead or Contact in Salesforce that matches the contact of the conversation (via email, phone number, etc...) and attach the message to it.

Each use case is different, so it’s tricky to implement a default behavior that will satisfy all of our customers. Instead, we’ve set up the log action do the minimum (import message in Salesforce attached to the relevant Lead or Contact) in order to not make assumptions about the workflow the customer wants to apply in Salesforce.

However, it seems like there may be demand from your team for a more granular approach to this logging action. I highly recommend submitting a feature request in our Ideas Portal. 

I think that covers your questions, but if I’m misunderstanding, or if you have any follow-up questions, please ask away :-)