Skip to main content
Sticky AMA

Macros AMA: Create shortcuts to automate multi-step processes

Macros AMA: Create shortcuts to automate multi-step processes

With macros, your team can perform several actions at once with the click of a button. The options for codifying your business logic are endless: macros are completely customizable to your needs. From handoffs to escalations to updating other systems (coming soon!), macros make it easy to ensure processes are followed and issues are resolved in a flash.

If you want to know more, here’s your opportunity! We have our macros Product Manager, Fred Bidot, here to answer all your questions about macros and how they can accelerate your response times, speed up your workflows, and reduce onboarding and training time for agents. 

If you haven’t had a chance to see it yet, here’s a look at how macros work:

Check out these additional guides to help you get set up: 

Fred will personally answer your questions on Monday, August 19 – and we’ll ensure any questions thereafter continue to get responses.

And now, ask away! You can also click Subscribe on the thread if you’d like to be notified when Q&As happen here.

How should I choose between a rule or a macro when I want to automate a process? What criterias should I take into consideration? 

Macros organization - for the Macros dropdown in the composer, does Front plan on introducing any folder/subfolder organization structure?

Can I use rule sets with macros?

I want to restrict a macro's availability to certain conditions, but it looks like I can only define teammate access in the macro settings. How can I make sure my agents only use it when relevant?

How should I choose between a rule or a macro when I want to automate a process? What criterias should I take into consideration? 

When deciding between a rule and a macro for automating a process, it's important to consider how the automation should be triggered. Macros are designed to boost productivity by allowing users to initiate specific actions within a workflow. Unlike rules, which are automatically triggered based on predefined conversation parameters, macros require humans to trigger. They are typically used in two stages: first, analyzing the conversation, and then executing the appropriate automated actions with a simple click on the macro button.

To determine which option is best for your automation needs, consider whether the process should be initiated manually by a user (macros) or automatically based on specific criteria in the conversation (rules).

What new features are coming for macros?

Macros organization - for the Macros dropdown in the composer, does Front plan on introducing any folder/subfolder organization structure?

Great question! When it comes to organizing macros, our focus is on ensuring that users see only the most relevant macros for each conversation. While we currently do not offer a configurable folder or subfolder structure for macros, we're exploring alternative solutions that better align with this goal:

1. Search Bar: We recommend establishing a consistent macro naming convention to make it easier for teammates to quickly find the relevant macros using the search function.
  2. Macro recommendation: We're soon introducing an enhancement that will recommend macros based on their past usage in similar conversations, replacing the current alphabetical order in the macros list. This way, the most relevant macros will appear at the top of the list, making it easier for teammates to access the ones they need.

Can I use rule sets with macros?

Rule sets are designed to streamline the management of multiple rules by consolidating them into a single main rule, making configuration and maintenance simpler for admin users. However, rule sets aren't directly applicable to macros. Instead, you can achieve similar results by using branching within macros (see Step 7 in this article). By adding branches based on specific conditions, your macro can dynamically adapt to the context of the conversation and perform the appropriate actions.

Additionally, you can enhance your macros further by adding dynamic variables, allowing for even more customization of conditions and actions across different use cases.

I want to restrict a macro's availability to certain conditions, but it looks like I can only define teammate access in the macro settings. How can I make sure my agents only use it when relevant?

If you want to ensure that a macro is used only in relevant situations, I recommend using conditional branching (see Step 7 in this article). This allows the macro actions to be triggered only when specific conditions are met. In addition, you can automatically add a comment that explains why the macro couldn't be triggered in a specific situation. This helps educate your team on its proper usage. Check this article for detailed examples; look for the 'No matches' branches.

What new features are coming for macros?

Although macros are a recent addition, we're actively working on several enhancements to help you get the most out of this powerful tool. In addition to the Macro recommendations feature (as mentioned above), here’s what you can expect:

1. New App Request Actions: These will allow macros to automatically perform tasks in external applications, such as processing returns, booking flights, or scheduling shifts.
  2. Teammate Input Capture: This feature will enable macros to gather input from teammates through forms, allowing you to use these values in conditional branching as well as macro actions.
  3. Macro Library: Similar to the rule creation process, this will provide easy access to pre-built templates, speeding up the creation and deployment of your macros.