Skip to main content

Hi, we setup the webhook to receive inbound events. We also have rules on Front to tag each conversation based on its channel. The rules work well on tagging.

However, we have some hiccups on the webhook. In the ideal case, once there is a new conversation, the rule tags the message, our webhook receive the inbound events about the message and the event comes with tag list, so we can route it to proper processors. However, we sometimes receive the inbound events with empty tag lists, therefore I cannot do the proper routing for the next step. It appears the tagging happened after Front server send out the event to our webhook.

Anybody knows how to fix this?

Hi @lifan

Your understanding of the order of events is correct here. The inbound event occurs and triggers the webhook. The tags are being applied but likely after the webhook has received the inbound event. 

My suggestion here would be to setup another rule for the webhook that that is triggered by the application of the tag being applied by this rule. As a result, this existing rule would just apply the tag and there would be a separate rule to respond to the tag being added and send it to the webhook. This would provide an tag event that is sent to the webhook that would provide the tag info and conversation that it was applied to. 

If there are any other questions, please do not hesitate to reach out!

Best, 
Justin

Hi @justin , thank you for your information. My question is the behavior from Front webhook is inconsistent. Sometimes, the inbound events came with tag, sometimes, the tag list is empty. We also work with other platform like Gorgias, Intercom and Zendesk, but we do not have this problem with them. Their webhook events alway come with correct tag list. 

I think it is reasonable for inbound events to be sent after the tags been added by automation rules. If we listen to the inbound events and also listen to the tagging events, it could be a waste of resources.

Thanks for that insight @lifan

There are a few factors that can come into play with these events being sent to webhook. The two main factors that come to mind are the event type/source and the ordering of the rules. 

Given these factors, it may be best to reach out to our support team in a private conversation with an ID of an example where this occurs for our team to better analyze the specific event type/source and the order in which the rule is processing these events. From there, we can take a look at the payload and what would be expected in the event. 

Best, 
Justin