Solved

Increasing API rate limit

• 4 January 2023
  • 1 reply

Badge +2

What is the process for requesting an API rate limit increase?

We run a job every evening to sync external contacts to Front, but that process is hitting the Front API rate limit.

I'd love to discuss ways to work around that 🙂

icon

Best answer by Support Engineering 4 January 2023, 18:13

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

Hi,

Rate limit increases require a paid upgrade to your plan. Before suggesting a rate limit increase, I recommend looking at the logic of this batch job. We may be able to work together here to create better API efficiency and reduce the number of calls needed. 

A couple of suggestions that could really help here:

1.  Running the job hourly instead of once in the evening might be more effective. If the company only needs to run it once daily, it seems like it's a background job, so speed isn't important. I would suggest that you process the data a little slower (serial rather than parallel), and ensure rate limit headers are being respected by easing requests when you approach the rate limit. You should try to proactively try to avoid hitting the rate limit rather than seeing how far you can push the system.

2. Do you have the ability or means to cache this data on a daily basis? For instance, if you could fetch all company, team, or teammate contacts, it may allow you to  cut 1-3 calls per contact just by having the information available to parse, rather than fetch each one. 

--Justin