Solved

How to deploy updates to private sidebar plugins

• 4 January 2024
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Is there a decent way to bypass the sidebar cache when I release hotfixes to private plugins?

I made a React app and it works fine for testing with our development server (Vite), but for production I precompile it to JavaScript and serve with Nginx. This works flawlessly, but when I make changes, Front doesn’t download the new code. I tried Front in a private tab and it worked fine, so as I recall I cleared the cache on my main tab and got it working there too. With the desktop client I wasn’t so lucky. Signing out or closing wasn’t enough to fix it, and I think I tried a few things in developer tools too. I had to open the hidden menu and choose Reset App Data to get it to clear. I can’t ask end users to do that whenever I make a breaking change to the backend API.

Is there a way for me to do it as the developer / company admin, short of deleting the sidebar app and making a new one? I tried adding an extra parameter to the query string and that didn’t help. We are all using the desktop app here so Ctrl-Shift-R and things like that are not an option.

icon

Best answer by jason 5 January 2024, 00:49

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

Hi Sam,

The desktop apps should have a File → Refresh in the top toolbar that will trigger new plugin content to be loaded. 

What kind of cache control does your application / nginx server set on the page? 

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Jason,

Thanks for your help. It looks like the problem might have been cache control headers set by Cloudflare while I was away from the corporate network. I’ll have to test it once more to be sure.