Solved

How is the "is_inbound" flag defined in the API vs in the analytics export?

• 13 February 2024
  • 1 reply

Hi there,

We just ingested raw Front data via Fivetran<> Front connector. However I’m struggling to reconcile the message “direction” - how is this determined?

We want to use this data to track SLAs etc and monitor performance. We are also ingested the “analytics export” to get SLA specific data such as reply time.

However, when I go to compare the two data sources (analytics export vs message data via Fivetran), I see that the message direction is sometimes different. Ie. in the analytics export it says its “inbound” whereas in the message data, it says “is_inbound” is false.

This is confusing to me. Is it to do with cc.ing other members of the company? How come the two data methods don’t follow the same pattern?

Would appreciate some insight on this! Thanks :)

icon

Best answer by justin 13 February 2024, 22:06

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

Hi, Hannah! 

A message can be either inbound (received) or outbound (sent). You can know if a message has been received or sent thanks to the boolean is_inbound.

It sounds like the issue here is that Fivetran is showing something different than our API. I would suggest checking your example where the API says is_inbound: false and ensuring this corresponds to what you see as an outbound message in Front. These two should align.

If the discrepancy is solely on the Fivetran side, I would recommend reaching out to Fivetran for clarity on how they are determining this. Fivetran is the publisher of this integration and unfortunately we would not have insight into the logic they are using to determine this value. I would agree that this value should reflect the same value but perhaps their team could help provide some addition help in investigating those examples where they do not match the Front API. 

Best, 
Justin