Solved

Forwarding email via API

• 19 December 2022
  • 3 replies

Badge +2

Hi guys,

How can I forward an email using the Front API? I don't see a method for that, although the Forward button exists in UI.

Any suggestions?

icon

Best answer by Support Engineering 19 December 2022, 20:25

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

Would you mind describing your use case a little bit more to better understand how you want to use the forward function?

Normally, we would recommend that you add a rule to the inbox that will forward the messages if they meet your rule conditions📏

But if you can please further explain how or why you want to do this via API, we can potentially offer other solutions, as well. 

Looking forward to hearing back!

--Molly

Badge +2

I didn't realize that forwarding was an action that could be done via rule. I see that now. 

What I'm trying to do is assess the content of the email using an external API, and then based on what it finds, trigger an action via API. In this case, forwarding.

I guess I could Add a Tag, and then set up a rule when that tag is added, to forward it... seems a bit convoluted though.

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

Adding a tag via the API and then letting the rules engine take over according to that trigger will actually be the least complicated way to achieve the forward, actually. 

I have discussed with my team, and forwarding is not supported by the API currently. 

We do have a feature request in with the Product team and I will certainly add yours to the list. :plus_one:

The only other way I can think to use the API as a workaround would be to use "Reply to conversation" in the Messages endpoint. This could be tricky, as you would have to pull the conversation_id, subject and body from the inbound message and then pass that through to the reply. So, it wouldn't be a true forward, but could still get the job done. 

--Molly