Solved

Custom chatbot infra for Front

• 12 February 2024
  • 1 reply

Hi Front team. I want to bring my own custom, existing chatbot backend to Front. I don’t want to recreate my bot using Front bot tools. 

• What would be the best and fastest approach to use a custom chatbot in Front?
  • Do you have ideas on how to implement customer escalation from bot to human?
  • My Front API doc reading suggests that using a custom channel to communicate the bot would work. What do you think of this approach?

Thanks in advance.

icon

Best answer by jason 12 February 2024, 22:16

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

Hi there!

My response here is assuming you’re not looking to use a Front Chat channel, but rather you have an external chat app, and you want to use Front to allow humans to respond to your customers. 

What would be the best and fastest approach to use a custom chatbot in Front?

Using the Application Channel Messages API to send messages between the visitor and your existing bot-backend is probably your best approach. 

Do you have ideas on how to implement customer escalation from bot to human?

Something that should work is having a Front rule (or the API) apply a tag like “currently managed by bot”, and ensure everything with that tag remains archived, or in a separate inbox. Once the bot decides to hand off to a human, either remove that tag / move to the inbox monitored by humans so it can be handled.

My Front API doc reading suggests that using a custom channel to communicate the bot would work. What do you think of this approach?

Yes! That’s the approach we would recommend. 

Let us know if you have questions!